Wednesday, March 3, 2010

retreat tips = prepare

The first tip, just like any good girl scout, is to be prepared.

If you are a 'fly by the seat of your pants' type of scrapper then this is going to sound like a load of BS. If you are like me, and can easily get lost or overwhelmed at retreats read on:

Get photos sorted now. If you have no photos that inspire you, or nothing printed off = get it organized.

  • There are still plenty of days to take the kids/ husband / self (all of the above would be ideal!!) and grab some photos. Fresh, new photos always inspires me to scrap. If you are feeling a bit blah about the shots you have - do something about it and get some more!!

  • Remember to pack your memory card and take to the stores to print off your phtos or print them at home (whatever you usually do). This is definately NOT a last minute job to do the week before the retreat as it will add stress and no doubt cause mistakes in sizes for photo requirements for classes. 

  • We have stressed to take note of photo sizes and their orientation (portrait or landscape). Do this now while there is still plenty of time!
When you have your photos, make a coffee, grab a pen and paper and go somewhere quiet. Look at each photo.

  • What does that photo mean to you? What do you want to say about that photo / moment in time? Jot these down in a notebook or pad to take with you on the retreat. This will instantly help when it comes to journalling.

  • One thing i have found with retreats is to pre print off my journalling strips. I use a lot of jounalling strips in my scrapping (more power to you if you handwrite - god i wish i loved the look of mine...alas i do not) and a major holdup with scrapping - particularly on retreats or crops where there is no printing facilities - is not being able to finish pages due to the journalling. At home, once i have looked at the photo and thought about what i would like that layout and photo to say i print off my strips. I use a variety of fonts, colours, sizes so it mixes things up a little. You wouldn't believe how much of a help (and often a great starting point) just having the journalling done and gist of the page ready to go in my head. I don't do this for every photo i take to a retreat but it sure does help pull the pages together faster.

Once you have your photos sorted, the story set out and maybe even your journalling strips, you are almost all set and you can sit back and relax. Pat yourself on the back for being a fantastic-ly organized person.

I know it sounds like a lot of preparing and buggering around (there are probably a lot of eyerolls going on reading this i can imagine) , but these jobs honestly would maybe take half an hour. Believe me......... it will be such a massive help.

Just in closing, the other thing that always amazes me is people say "oh i suck at titles. I can never think of what to title to put on my page".

The only time i have ever had trouble with a title is when my pages have had no direction. If i know exactly what i want to say in the journalling and what story i want my photo to tell - the title seems to come easily. So again, preparing your story and journalling before hand will help in this aspect too.

Good luck preparing, the next tip will involve your imagination.

6 comments:

Maryanne Ridgway said...

oh amanda!!

how did you know that I am not even started being organised?????
okay, I am going to get started with my photos tomorrow![truly].

some great tips amanda, thanks!

sandra said...

These are great tips Amanda. I think there are tips in there for every kind of scrapper. No eye rolling here ;)
They motivated me to start getting organised in earnest... the printer got a hell of a workout last night ;)

Oh and can I be cheeky and put a plug in here for everyone to go over to Maryannes blog (link over under inspiration in the side bar
->) and check out another fantastic example of a Be Funky photo?? Totally Cool!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Amanda for the great tips and it is well timed. Was getting a little over whelmed with where to start (so haven't), so thank you!! No eye rolling here either.
Kathryn :-)

SueP said...

Good tips Amanda....i better print this off when i get home....and start getting organised. I am soooo NOT good at scrapping away from MY space!!

Meredith said...

Thank you Amanda - I think I am going to try and be organised this time!! I am wondering if doing a couple of OTP things is the way to go, so less stash to take then!

Tiff Firth said...

lots of 'to do' tips there. Its getting very exciting now.