Wednesday, March 10, 2010

retreat tips = vision

Another of my Wednesday retreat tips i will share is having vision and preparing yourself mentally.

This may sound a bit 'mumbo jumbo' but what i am really saying is to 'get your self in the right frame of mind with the right tools on hand'.

It may be a simple task of grabbing your photos that you would like to scrap and making up little kit bags with embellishments, papers, ribbons and alphas. In fact maybe try something different and grab an embellishement first! Think to yourself - "ooooh i really want to try and use that embellishment on a page at the retreat" and then grab coordinating / complimentary papers to go with it. Pop all of this in zip lock bags - one bag per 'kit' and you will be surprised at how much that helps pull layouts together quickly at the retreat. It will also be a massive help in cutting down the amount of stash you will bring along 'just in case'.

Another part of getting mentally prepared is recognizing what blocks your scrapbooking. Is it that pile of washing? Can you not scrap until you have gone for a run? Does a lack of recent photos leave you uninsipred? Do you get stuck at the design stage of your pages.

My suggestion is to realize what blocks you ... and do something about getting it all sorted prior to the retreat.


If it is the washing block = have it all done (or do what i do and forget it completely!).
If it is the photo block = get out snapping right NOW!
Need to run before getting creative? = run your buts off in the weeks before so you don't feel guilty kicking back and scrapping.
Need chocolate to scrap properly = bring a huge amount along!!
Stuck with designing the pages? Visit some of our sketch links on the sidebar
--------------->
and print off a heap of sketches for you to do at the retreat.


I have already saved a fair few pages that i hope to scraplift on the retreat as i know as soon as i get into that big shed my mind seems to go blank for a while. Scraplifting or following a sketch is a great way to get productive without straining the brain and getting frustrated with yourself. (which actually seems to work like a vicious circle and block you up even more!)

Soon i will reveal my 'retreat challenge' to you all, which i hope some / any / a few people embrace and do as otherwise i am going to feel like a complete dong doing it on my own!

4 comments:

miasmummy said...

I'll be embracing the retreat challenge... I can't wait!! Going to pack some stash tonight so thanks for the tips....

Maryanne Ridgway said...

omigosh amanda...again how did you know that I just cant scrap until I go for my run?

okay Im joking......just in case you didnt already realise that!!

sorry
some great ideas amanda,I have to say I have been thinking about getting some kits happening before I go, so I will manage a page or 2 of my own.

Meredith said...

I have recently found that scraplifting and sketches are wonderful!

I particularly enjoy Sue's sketches! Maybe she could do a few up for me for the retreat ... Sue are you there???!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips Amanda !
It feels good to have my photos for the classes all prepared and cut to size ... now to go through my papers and bits'n'pieces for some other pages. I like the 'zip lock' bag idea - they come in very handy for all sorts of things !
... now back to finish folding that washing!!
Kylie