Friday, May 1, 2009

mooning the moon

had a play with the TV setting. I have never fiddled with the shutter speed before.

For this shot I had my big bertha lens 75-300mm lens.

TV 1/800 (this means it took 1 800th of a sec for the shutter to open and shut to take the shot. The quickest speed my camera is 1/4000.

f/5.6 (this is your field of focus. in otherwords what is in focus and out of focus in your shot)

ISO 1600 (I googled to find an explaination. ( In Digital Photography ISO measures the sensitivity of the image sensor. - the lower the number the less sensitive your camera is to light and the finer the grain. Higher ISO settings are generally used in darker situations to get faster shutter speeds (for example an indoor sports event when you want to freeze the action in lower light) - however the cost is noisier shots.Read more: http://digital-photography-school.com/iso-settings#ixzz0EG0x39TS&B)


a bit heavy. but if u go thru it step by step and set your cameras manual settings the same, and have no light other that the moon, a tripod or something to have the camera perfectly still, and a bit of cropping in a photo editing program, you should get something like this. (I hope)

pretty cool how u can see the craters and the dead seas on the surface hey.



the second shot had these settings.
lens 1:1.8mm
TV 1"3
ISO 200
f/100

4 comments:

sandra said...

huh?


the photos look great though ;)

Meredith said...

I think I might be with you Sandra!! Need to sit down later and read through that more carefully! Good shots though!!

Maryanne Ridgway said...

great shots tiff.was looking at the moon on my way home from work a few nights ago, and thinking of how it would photograph, so was quite funny seeing your post about the moon!mind you thinking about it is a as far as Ive got.
and Im still an auto or dial setting girl Im afraid!

sandra said...

I think I might have to read my manual as you suggested Tiff....

On the way to Coffins this weekend I took another couple of photos using the manual settings..


notice nothing to post???
absolutely shocking pics LOL.

Admire you girls who have the confidence to go into manual settings.
Again, great photos Tiff.